This project included five residential buildings dating from c.1870 to 1917, located in two adjacent towns in the Lower Naugatuck Valley, demolished to the structural frame and renovated to provide 20 one- and two-bedroom apartments.
Ranging in size from a two-family house to three-story, six-unit buildings, the buildings varied in their site conditions and code compliance strategies. Depending on the size and design of each building, some or all of the following were implemented: automatic sprinkler systems, new enclosed fire stairs, new outside stairs, new second means of egress. Three wheelchair accessible units were created. All five buildings were structurally reinforced and insulated to meet current codes, received new energy efficient windows and heating plants, new wiring, lighting, and plumbing. The exterior materials and details were selected to conform to the architectural style of the original building, while responding to the owner’s need for low-maintenance. Traditional porches, large windows, attractive colors, and spacious interiors provide a welcoming home environment in a historic community setting.